Cong Abbey (Cong Abbey) is a historic site located on the border of the counties of Galway and Mayo, in the province of Connacht of Ireland. Founded at the beginning of the 7th century by Saint Feichin, the abbey was destroyed by fire in the early 12th century. Turlough Mor O ‘Connor, the great king of Ireland, recreated the abbey around 1135. His son Rory Connor, the last great king of Ireland before the Norman invasions, built new buildings and the monastery adopted the rule of Saint Augustine a few years later.
The Norman Knight, William of Burgh, attacked Cong in 1203, and again the abbey was rebuilt. The present church and the cloister ruins are the places where the monks worked and prayed, belonging to the reconstruction of the early 13th century.