Tuam, a historical heritage

  • The Mill Museum – This undershot water wheel mill found off Shop Street, which traces its origin to the 17th century, was in operation until 1964. It is the only preserved corn mill in the West of Ireland. The Mill Museum complex, located beside the river Nanny, consists of the restored corn mill with operating water wheel, an audiovisual museum and Tourist Information Office.
  • Saint Mary’s Cathedral – The Church of Irland Cathedral was built 1861–1878, incorporating a 12th-century arch and sanctuary, and a 14th-century chancel.
  • Cathedral of the assumption, roman Catholic Archdiocese of Tuam

  • Temple Jarlath at High Street, marks the site of the earliest monastic settlement in Tuam, established by Saint Jarlath circa 526–527 AD. Temple Jarlath is situated near the town centre. It marks the site of an early monastic settlement dedicated to St Jarlath, Tuam’s 6th century patron. The surviving ruins include a late 13th-century parish church containing an east window in Transitional style.

Leave a Reply